LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:46:23 -0500 (EST)

Re: Linux organizer/address book

Eugene Sotirescu wrote:

> I've been using Sidekick 95 under Win and Claris Organizer under MacOS
> to keep addresses and a calendar of to dos, etc.
>
> Is anybody actively using any such software  under Linux? What are your
> recommendations?
>
> Thanks.
> --
>
> Eugene

Hi Eugene,

I like addressbook which is a tcl/tk program that is highly
configurable.  You can send mail from it an do all sorts of things,
Another nice thing is that the data base is a text based semi colen
separated file.  Really cool for using simple awk scripts for filtering
and sending out e mail to all of the members in your family.

awk -F ";" '/Family/ {printf ("%s %s <%s>,\n",$1,$2,$14) }'
/home/leroy/.addresses.dat

One of the fields is a category field.  Of course you can get a lot
fancier.

I also use xcal which is a calandar with daily inputs and such.

Have a great day :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037