David L. Martin on Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:12:43 -0500 (EST)

Re: DOS Brief Editor emulation for vi or emacs

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Thomas Borawski  wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get some off-the-shelf configuration files
> to make vi or emacs emulate the DOS editor Brief ?  I like having only
> one set of keymaps in my life and I am too cheap to go out and buy
> Visual Slickedit.

I tried several configs for emacs, but the support for the more powerfull
commands weren't there.

I also tried some of the brief clones on sunsite, but once again most of
the more powerfull commands were missing.

I am very happy with VSlick, its even better on Linux than Winbloze.
Out of all the commands, I've only found one that cannot be configured to
run exactely like DOS-Brief.  With Vslick's ability to handle multiple
user defined macros it may even be better than DOS-Brief.

Basically try the stuff on sunsite, then break down and by VSlick.

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

Brady's First Law of Problem Solving: When confronted by a difficult
problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the
question, "How would the Lone Ranger have handled this?"