LeRoy D. Cressy on Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:47:01 -0500 (EST)

Re: Arrrgh! Help!

Tracy Nelson wrote:

> OK, so now 2.2 is out, so I thought I'd get focused on writing a driver for
> my sound card.  Well, I managed to focus myself up real good installing the
> kernel.  Here's the sad story:
>
> I have a multi-boot machine, using the NT boot manager (yeah, yeah,yeah...).
> I compiled a new 2.2 kernel, installed it, and got it to boot just fine.
> Unfortunately, I forgot to compile in PPP support.  OK, no big deal,
> re-config, re-make, re-install, re-boot and -- when decompressing the new
> kernel, I get "out of data -- system halted".  OK, boot up under my old
> kernel, re-run /sbin/lilo, reboot -- same thing.  Hmmm, dunno, make clean,
> make zImage, mv, /sbin/lilo, reboot.  Suddenly I get "LIL-" and I'm dead.  I
> recall that LILO indicates problems this way, but of course all my HOWTOs
> are freshly inaccessible.  So, my questions are:
>
> 1) What does "LIL-" indicate?
> 2) Should I have re-exported my boot block to NT?  (But why did it work the
> first few times?)
> 3) Anybody know of a filesystem driver/reader that will install/run under
> NT?
Hi Tracy,

Sorry to here about your catastrophy :-(

According to the /usr/doc/user.tex

  \item[\raw{LIL-}] The descriptor table is corrupt. This can either be
caused
    by a geometry mismatch or by moving \path{/boot/map} without running
    the map installer.

Apparently, you didn't run lilo after the make of your kernel.  Also the
kernel zImage or bzImage must be copied to the directory where lilo
.conf is looking for it along with the new map file.

I also have done the same thing in the past, but luckly I had a boot
disk handy so I could reboot the machine.  One of the many times that I
became brain dead and clueless1

Hope You Have a better day

LeRoy
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037