Tracy Nelson on Thu, 28 Jan 1999 12:07:31 -0500 (EST)

Arrrgh! Help!

OK, so now 2.2 is out, so I thought I'd get focused on writing a driver for
my sound card.  Well, I managed to focus myself up real good installing the
kernel.  Here's the sad story:

I have a multi-boot machine, using the NT boot manager (yeah, yeah,yeah...).
I compiled a new 2.2 kernel, installed it, and got it to boot just fine.
Unfortunately, I forgot to compile in PPP support.  OK, no big deal,
re-config, re-make, re-install, re-boot and -- when decompressing the new
kernel, I get "out of data -- system halted".  OK, boot up under my old
kernel, re-run /sbin/lilo, reboot -- same thing.  Hmmm, dunno, make clean,
make zImage, mv, /sbin/lilo, reboot.  Suddenly I get "LIL-" and I'm dead.  I
recall that LILO indicates problems this way, but of course all my HOWTOs
are freshly inaccessible.  So, my questions are:

1) What does "LIL-" indicate?
2) Should I have re-exported my boot block to NT?  (But why did it work the
first few times?)
3) Anybody know of a filesystem driver/reader that will install/run under
NT?

Thanks in advance for any sage advice!
-- Tracy Nelson