LeRoy D. Cressy on Thu, 28 Jan 1999 11:56:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: win98&linux

Sandy Basickes wrote:

>   has anyone put win98 & linux on the same pc.
>
>    we have a10 gig drive.
>
>     the drive was originally partitioned with fdisk under linux.
>  linux was running.  we could not load windows. we  dos formated the
> partiton , but windows wouldn't load.
>
>       we removed linux. repartioned the disk with dos fdisk. loaded windows
> 98 in the first partiton. with dos fdisk, we made an exteneded drive with 4
> logical units  ( i was going to use / swap & /home.
>
>         linux cfdisk gives a message that the drive is no good.
>
>         any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
>         thank you ,
>
>          sandy basickes

Hi Sandy,

If the Linux cfdisk reports that the drive is no good, try using the
latest version of fdisk under Linux.  If the report is still bad, try a
cold boot and see what the kernel reports about the drive.  In the past,
I messed up a drive by repartitioning it several times and a low level
format bailed me out.

Under the howto for loading windowsxx on a drive, the windows
installation program assumes that the total drive belongs to it.  Also,
you may need to check your kernel for support for VFAT FS and MSDOS FS.
Also, the windows95 and Windows98 fdisk are very version specific not
allowing other MS fdisks to delete the partition.  Also I think that
they may put some items in the boot sector of the drive making the drive
appear broken to other Operating Systems.

When I loaded Linux and Win95 on a system I ran into this problem.  The
solution that I used was boot the machine with an old dos boot disk and
make my fat partitions with it.  Then I loaded win 95 on the existing
fat partitions without using the windows fdisk.  This worked.  After I
had windows loaded, then I used Linux to repartition the rest of the
disk.  Also, according to the fat documentation only one partition can
be a primary partition.  All of the other fat partitions on the must be
extended partitions.  I think that this has something to do with the
drive labeling and such.

I hope that this helps
LeRoy

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037