David L. Martin on Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:39:19 -0500 (EST)

Re: Kernel Problems...

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Eric Windisch wrote:
> 2.0.0pre1 and pre7 both gave me the exact same error {
>
> Request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS Cannot open root device 03:41
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root on 3:41
>
> } Its pretty annoying, as I cannot find the source of the problem.
> I made sure that I had included support for my harddrive, ext2, etc...
> in my kernel but no cigar.  I then asked this mailing list a while back
> about it
> and I was told something about glic having a bug in the dynamic linker
> code,
> so I setup the workaround AND upgraded, still no cigar.  It appears that
> the problem
> appears before the files in /etc/rc.d/ are executed.  Any suggestions ?

Are these SCSI drives?
I was just thinking about that image you need to upgrade if you have SCSI
boot disks.  I don't boot off of my SCSI drives so I never needed to learn
about this process.

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

To criticise the incompetent is easy; it is more difficult to
criticise the competent.