Walt Mankowski on Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:00:05 -0500 (EST)

Re: Kernel Problems...

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 04:51:38PM -0500, Eric Windisch wrote:

> 2.0.0pre1 and pre7 both gave me the exact same error {
>
> Request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
> VFS Cannot open root device 03:41
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root on 3:41
>
> } Its pretty annoying, as I cannot find the source of the problem.
> I made sure that I had included support for my harddrive, ext2, etc...
> in my kernel but no cigar.  I then asked this mailing list a while back
> about it
> and I was told something about glic having a bug in the dynamic linker
> code,
> so I setup the workaround AND upgraded, still no cigar.  It appears that
> the problem
> appears before the files in /etc/rc.d/ are executed.  Any suggestions ?

Does this happen when you try to boot up the new kernel?  If so, then
I have an idea.  Did you build ext2 support as a module?  That usually
doesn't work.  Linux has to mount your root filesystem before it can
load any modules.

Walt Mankowski