David L. Martin on Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:03:35 -0500 (EST)

Re: A new hard drive

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999, Martin DiViaio wrote:
> Well, I've gone and done it. I've ordered a new hard drive for my
> laptop. It's 6GB and it will replace my exhisting drive. I would like
> some help with setting up the partitions.
>
> I've figured this much out so far:
>
> The first 1024 blocks should be /boot

Why just:
/dev/hda1   = 30M    ; for root
/dev/hda2   = 128M   ; for swap
/dev/hda3   = everything else (ext partition, then break this down into
	 	/var, /tmp, /home, /usr, etc
/dev/hda4   = 50M    ; for a small dos

You don't need that much for the root, and thats the partition you want to
protect.

--

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

By definition, when you are investigating the unknown, you do not
know what you will find or even when you have found it.