Jason Costomiris on Wed, 17 Mar 1999 14:13:43 -0500 (EST)

Re: Anybody using GNOME?

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 08:32:30PM -0500, Link Nguyen wrote:
: Gnome is a bit of a hastle to install with all the dependencies.  I found the
: easiest way is to grab ALL the files from the gnome ftpsite and rpm them one
: by one until you get them all done.  It works perfectly after that.

Agreed.  The pre-built RPMs are trouble.  I completely purged my
system of the pre-compiled GNOME stuff, and nuked the ~/.gnome* directories
and went back to the board.

I grabbed the SRPMS, and built them myself.  Oddly, some of the SRPMS
required tweaking of the enclosed .spec files.  Lots of times it was
because in the %files section, many of them were looking for
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/share/locale/*/*/*, which did not exist in my builds
for many of the packages.  Relatively painless, and my GNOME installation is
much faster and smoother now.  Of course, I don't run E.  I think it's a
memory inhaling monster, and little more than a bunch of eye candy.  I want
a window manager, not a graphical nightmare...  I'm a big fan of Raster's
creations like imlib, fnlib, ee, and the gtk+ themeability code, but just
don't like E.  WindowMaker 0.51.2 has been well-behaved, and does what I
want/need (manage windows, and give me a menu or two here and there).

Users also need to be attentive to how they start up GNOME.  There's a LOT
of bad info out there on what you need to stick in your ~/.xinitrc to make
it work properly...  here's what I'm using (and it happens to agree with
the GNOME site's documentation):

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
xscreensaver -no-splash &
/usr/bin/wmaker &
exec gnome-session

: I am starting to program in Gnome and I find it very simplistic.  I would not
: be surprised if Gnome turns out to be the consistent API for Linux in the
: future.

I really hope you don't mean "simplistic".  You mean "simple".

My only real "complaint" is the fact that esd locks the sound device, leaving
me to have to do an "esdctl off" to use x11amp.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.