David E. Edwards on Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:11:49 -0500 (EST)

Re: GNOME Question??

Vik Bajaj wrote:

> GNOME defines a language and platform-independent API atop which the
> GNOME-aware window manager sits, and an API for communication among GNOME-aware
> applications.  Specifically, the CORBA (Common Object Request Broker
> Architecture) design allows for coding-independent applicaton communication,
<SNIP>
Okay, it seems to me that GNOME (and KDE) are similar to the x/Open
initiatives of yesteryear.  Both attempts at creating another
standardised  API.
Is that correct?? and if so, are we not close to seeing the same type of
xview/motif fragmentation that apparently frustrated the acceptance of
Unix in the past??

As an aside, I seem to remember that it was once stated that GNOME was
based on the GNUStep initiative, which I believe is a GPL version of the
OpenStep work. (or was it NextStep?? - Boy am I confused!! -- Help!!).
Its beginning to look like the *NIX world changes its standards as often
as (insert your own descriptive) change their underwear.  Why??

Apologies before the flames 8-P.