tburba on Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:13:18 -0500 (EST)

Re: GNOME Question?? a meeting topic?

Imho, Gnome would be a good topic for the next plug meeting.

plug@lists.nothinbut.net on 03/17/99 10:51:17 PM

To:   dlmarti@njcc.com
cc:   rebecca.ore@op.net, plug@lists.nothinbut.net (bcc: Thomas A
      Burba/USVISION)
Subject:  Re: GNOME Question??

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, David L. Martin wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 09:47:13PM -0500, David E. Edwards wrote:
> > > I'm trying to understand GNOME.
> > > Am I correct in assuming that GNOME is not a window manager.
> > > And that it is an API.
> > > (sorry guys, but Mainframes; COBOL; REXX; Winblows; Novell; NT;
Solaris;
> > > Connect:Direct; confused (and confusing) Users; Y2K; Systems Support
> > > making arbitrary changes and "Expert Programmers" all in 1 day  is
> > > taking its toll 8-{{)
> > > Dave E.
> > > dedwards@technologist.com
> >
> > It's a desktop environment, with associated programs.  Kde is another
> > one.  Gnome doesn't have one single window manager, but a couple of
> > window managers are Gnome aware: icewm, windowmaker, and Enlightenment.
> > Blackbox can be somewhat Gnome aware with a patch.  But a Gnome-aware
> > window manager isn't critical.  Some of the program are still under
> > development.
>
> Kde is another one, what?
> Kde is a desktop correct?
> Is gnome exclusive of Kde or independent?

GNOME and KDE are pretty much the same thing, except GNOME uses GTK and
KDE uses QT