Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:43:55 -0400 (EDT)

Re: RPM problem

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Wayne Eisenberg wrote:

> I'm trying to install a package called gtksamba on my RedHat 4.2 box at
> work. It requires gtk+ to work. If I try to install either package (logged
> in as root, of course) with the following line:
>
> rpm -iv gtk+-1_0_6-1_i386.rpm (or gtksamba_blah_blah)
>
> I get the response "Data type 9 not supported". I tried the exact same thing
> on my RedHat 5.2 box at home and it installed perfectly, no dumb error
> messages, so I know it's not me :)
>
> What's wrong here? What does that message mean and how do I troubleshoot it?

It's a message from RPM.  You're 4.2 box is running an older version of
RPM.  There were some additions to the RPM header format between the
versions that RH 4.2 and RH 5.x. Just upgrade your RPM package on the RH
4.2 box (make sure you get a libc5 version), and you should be just fine.
You'll also want to make sure that the packages you're trying to install
on the RH 4.2 box are libc5 RPMs and not libc6/glibc2.

Michael W. Ryan               | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)