LeRoy D. Cressy on Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:26:10 -0400 (EDT)

Re: setting TERM from a script

Jason Staloff wrote:

> When I log in to my ISP shell account from Linux, neither vi nor pine will
> work because TERM=linux. This being unacceptable, I set TERM=vt100; export
> TERM (my shell is bash), and it's fine for that session. So I'm thinking,
> what a great job for a little shell script...
>
> #!/bin/sh (yes that's where it is, I checked)
> TERM=vt100
> export TERM
>
> When I run it, there's no error but TERM is still linux. What's up?? I
> tried with #!/bin/bash, too, no dice.
>
> I also get the error from work logging in from Wind95's telnet client,
> which sets TERM=ansi. If I could get my sophisticated two-liner to work,
> I'd put it in .bash_profile and go on to live a happy life.

Things that work for me:

when you are logged in to your isp make sure that your default shell is
bash.  Do this by looking at the /etc/passswd file.

If it isn't run chsh to change the default shell

Next write a .profile file.

This will take out all of the stuff in the /etc/profile file.  You
should set the path and other enviroment varables in the /etc/profile.
You could just copy their file and make the appropriate settings.

> TIA.JAS
>
> Bonus Question: while I was writing this, my telnet session on the PC timed
> out, and I couldn't get back to my local shell. ^z and ^d didn't help. I
> had to ctr-alt-del! The system shut down and came back up in an orderly
> fashion but it's really disturbing that such a thing was necessary. What
> could I have done to avoid rebooting? (This session was at the shell
> prompt, X wasn't running, so I couldn't use kill.)

Switch to another terminal as mentioned in a previous note.

Alt F[1-6]

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037