Adam on Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:49:46 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Web cameras under linux

I have a 3com Big Picture Camera/cap card with the bt chip
and it works beautifully under linux.
You either need to go with the newest kernel which supports video for
linux, or you can download the video for linux modules seperately.

"Steven J. Pulito" wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Recently I decided it would be cool to buy a web camera, however I want to
> make sure I can use it on my Linux box.  I plan on using it for web
> conferencing and putting live pictures on my webpage.
>
> So basically I don't know where to go from here.  If anyone is familiar with
> Video4linux or has setup a web camera on their machine I would love to hear
> from them.
>
> Right now I have RH 5.2 with the default kernel, but I am willing to upgrade
> to kernel 2.2, I thought this might be necessary because of Video4linux
> http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4era PCI version because it
> sounds like a great overall camera and I think that the PCI card uses the
> BT848 chipset which is supported by Video4linux. But I am unsure of what I
> would need to do to get this working.
>
> Thank in advance, ANY help will be greatly appreciated.l.shtml
>
> I was considering the Intel create and share cam
>
> Sincerely,
> Steven Pulito
>
> --

Adam