Steven J. Pulito on Fri, 9 Apr 1999 14:05:43 -0400 (EDT)

Web cameras under linux

Hello everybody,

Recently I decided it would be cool to buy a web camera, however I want to
make sure I can use it on my Linux box.  I plan on using it for web
conferencing and putting live pictures on my webpage.

So basically I don't know where to go from here.  If anyone is familiar with
Video4linux or has setup a web camera on their machine I would love to hear
from them.

Right now I have RH 5.2 with the default kernel, but I am willing to upgrade
to kernel 2.2, I thought this might be necessary because of Video4linux
http://roadrunner.swansea.uk.linux.org/v4l.shtml

I was considering the Intel create and share camera PCI version because it
sounds like a great overall camera and I think that the PCI card uses the
BT848 chipset which is supported by Video4linux. But I am unsure of what I
would need to do to get this working.

Thank in advance, ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Steven Pulito