David L. Martin on Fri, 30 Apr 1999 06:13:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: NT4.0 way faster than Linux 2.2.2 ???

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Roger C. Scudder Jr. wrote:
> Here's an interesting study.  This study finds NT4.0 server
> 2.5 times faster than Linux as a file server and 3.7 times faster
> as a web server...
> http://www.mindcraft.com/whitepapers/nts4rhlinux.html

Your a little behind on the news.
The study was paid for by Mickeysoft, the NT machine was optimized and
Linux was not, etc, etc, etc...

Even Mickeysoft has come out a said the test was messed up.

This issue has bounced around on most of the lists and on Slashdot, check
slashdot archives for the stories.

I use NT on a P233 at work, and Linux on a P90 at home, trust me NT is not
faster.  My P90 smokes the P233.

Oracle just did some tests (I don't have the URL) and showed the exact
reverse results.  That Linux was faster by far.

--

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

To err is human, to moo bovine.