John A. Simkiss III on Mon, 10 May 1999 11:07:56 -0400 (EDT)

RH6.0

I purchased RedHat 6.0 at CompUSA in King Of Prussia on Saturday night.
(Wifey thinks that the Indian restaurant at which I picked up dinner has
very slow service, so don't tell her where I was).  MicroCenter, St. Davids,
still has only 5.2 in stock.

I am running a DELL Latitude XPi CD notebook with a P-166MMX and 80 Megs of
RAM.  I keep Linux separate from NT (required at work) via 2 hard drives,
which I cold-swap out between home and work.

Install was similar to previous versions and is relatively simple for the
uninitiated. In the languages selection, RedHat has removed the option for
"RedNeck," which was in 5.0 (I think), and rather funny. I did have a
problem with my X windows  - XFree86 settings b/c I am installing on a
laptop with a NeoMagic 2093/128ZV card.  NeoMagic doesn't autoprobe and
isn't well supported during the install.  A quick ftp of the
XFCom-neomagic-glibc-2.0.0-1.i386.rpm solved that problem and got me up to
800x600 resolution.  Sound config and PPP were easy enough.  All the
graphical admin. tools are a big help to the Linux newcomer, who hasn't much
experience hand editing config files, and will only help increase Linux's
market share.

Anyway, GNOME looks pretty slick to me.  I played with it for a while to see
how stable it is, and it didn't dump on me....yet.   Lotsa new toys to play
with too - very professional and nice.  Them boys and gals in N.C. are doin'
a bang up job...

jas3