Jeff Dean on Fri, 14 May 1999 08:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Calling all current and potential consultants.

It sounds as if this could warrant a nonprofit organization, to
which we'd become members.  The org would then be responsible for
maintaining a searchable database for interested employers and
marketing the availability of Linux-specific talent.  Eventually
member support would include example contracts and other
services.  It wouldn't employ or endorse anyone individually.
The intent of making it a nonprofit would be to avoid the
placement firm expense structure and yield quick, "open-source"
access to consultants.  It would eventually need a diverse
revenue structure and perhaps corporate support, but initially
membership income would suffice to organize.  There's nothing
forcing it to be regional, either, and who knows how popular it
might become?  Any company promoting Linux (i.e., VA, RedHat,
Caldera, etc.) may be interested in promoting or funding such a
group, as it is in their interest to do so.  We can probably all
agree that:

- there's unarticulated demand for Linux services
- services are needed in public, private, government, and
education
- Linux consultants need a voice and marketing engine
- big-fee big-biz can be avoided

We certainly have the talent to pull something like this
together.

Comments to the list...

Jeff Dean

On 05/13/99 09:02:24 AM Edward J. Sager wrote:
>I was wondering if there is any interest out there in forming a
>Philadelphia area Linux consulting group with emphasis on
Internet based
>commerce, probably using PERL, C and TCL on Linux.  Now seems
like a
>good time.  There's a burgeoning market for Linux expertise.
>
>I am considering Linux consulting but the idea of working for a
>placement type consulting firm seems onerous considering they
take half
>up front.  My two big concerns about going it alone are sales
and
>support.  If you're on your own, you have to spend an inordinate
amount
>of time seeking work rather than doing what you do best.  Then,
since
>many of these applications are mission critical, you always need
to be
>available, thus you can never really get away from it all.
>
>It seems to me that a decent sized group could support a
dedicated sales