David L. Martin on Fri, 14 May 1999 20:36:18 -0400 (EDT)

Re: RH Linux and backlash

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Jonathan Disher wrote:
> I agree wholeheartedly with this email (and am including it for the
> benefit of another list... please keep the crossposts to a minimum).
>
> HOWEVER..... As my classmate, coworker, and fellow Linux zealot knows, I
> have a different spin on this.
>
> Everyone, think back to the most recent installation of Linux you
> performed.  I myself installed redhat 5.2 on my dual 233MMX system.  OK,
> so for the first 5 minutes, it was a redhat 5.2 box.  Then I customized
> it... a LOT.  I replaced about 30 packages with custom installs (sendmail,
> apache, etc).  I configged everything the way I like it (AND I DODNT USE
> REDHATS UTIL), manually with vi even.  It isn't a redhat 5.2 box anymore.
> It's a JonaLinux (tm) box.

Thirty packages?  So my Ford has 135K on it, and with an oil-change every
3K thats 45 oil-changes.  So my previous F150 is now a Dave150, schweet...

Seriously, a distribution is huge you recevied alot of benefit from
starting your customization from a known distribution.

Also along the lines of RedHat bashing, while I don't agree with everyone
of there policies they do provide a focal point for outside companies to
key on.  Cases in point:
	Adaptecs turn around,
	Creative labs turn around,
	Dell's turn around,
	IBM's turn around,
	etc.

All of these comapanies and more have started to offer support to the
Linux community because they now have a focal point.  What ever
distribution you use, we all are now benefiting from RedHat's market
share.

To a big blue-chip company they see RedHat, not Linux.  This position will
eventually causes us all alot of problems, lets just hope they are fully
committed when RedHat finally does something really weird and rocks the
boat.

--

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.