Martin DiViaio on Mon, 24 May 1999 17:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Linux.com

Tracy Nelson wrote:

> David L. Martin wrote:
> >
> > Check out linux.com, specifically the "tuning linux" section.
> >
> > I completed the IDE config and gained a 50% read speed increase.
> > I used to get at 95% system utilization when transfering alot of files
> > between drives, now its down below 20% with the DMA enabled.
>
> Has anyone else gotten much improvement from this?  I tried it, and I
> actually got better response with 16-bit transfers on my old drive (WD
> 32500)!  I got marginally better throughput with both 32-bit transfers
> and DMA, but nothing outstanding.  Do I have to compile a new kernel to
> ensure that I have DMA support?  (I have an Intel VS440FX MB with the
> 440FX chipset, and I'm using the 2.0.34 kernal as shipped w/RH5.1.)

The only thing I got from it was a SERIOUSLY corrupted file system. It
was no one's fault but my own. I didn't heed the warnings in the hdparm
man page.

<GRUMP MODE>
Is there some reason the people at SuSE insist on using an egcs kernel
that absolutely refuses to work with pcmcia-cs.

I like SuSE better than RedHat but have to use RedHat because of this.
</GRUMP MODE>