Vale_Kenny on Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:22:34 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Potential new meeting place

Please read the whole thing, there are some amusing parts where I show my
Schizophrenia.. ;>

There are too many people coming in from NJ, and too many people in theCity w/o
personal transport.  And the train takes too damn long to get from CCity to the
'burbs...
Listen Folks, unless ther is a HUGE groundswell from Pa burbanites (of which I
am one), and no commentary from NJ and CCity, we pretty much have to stick to
the City.  Many of the core members are there, and several have no autos.

We need to go for a compromise here, where everyone is inconvienced equally.  If
you lived in NJ, and had to drive to 60+ miles to Conshie ( I think we have a
couple of attendees from Eastern/Central Jersey) would you?  Down 95 & 76?  You
couldn't *pay* me to make that commute, especially at rush hour..and SEPTA from
CCity to Conshie.?  How reliable is that, and SLOW.  Amtrak is much faster, but
costs around $5.00 one way..
By the same token, for those of us in the Pa. burbs, I personally wouldn't even
think of going all of the way from KoPrussia to Lindenwold/Haddon Heights.  The
concept makes me cringe with thoughts of jams, exhaust, parking, Haddon Heights
Cops...

I'm in a unique position for this, I have lived in Berlin NJ, Lindenwold NJ,
Center City, and just outside of KoP, Royersford to be exact.  I have been a
contractor for various careers since I was 17 (11 yrs now), and have travelled
the best and worst routes and times all over this area.  Horsham, Blue Bell, Ft
Washington, up and down 30 (from Malvern in Pa. to Atlantic City in NJ), KoP,
Haddonfield, Haddon Heights, Berlin, Atco, Rittenhouse Sq., WashingtonSq.,
Hammonton, Bryn Mawr, 32 & SpringGarden (*shiver*), Bridesburg, New Brunswick,
Mullica Hill, Salem (NJ)... just about freakin everywhere.  Some of them are
*nightmarish*  (Berlin to Kop during rush hour...bring your Valium)

I agree, I'd love to hop in my car, and cruise down 422 to 76 to Conshie in 15
minutes, but think about the folks coming from..lets say..Atco Nj..73N..15
minutes stopngo at 73/70, another 10 @ Moorestown, and then dowm 90 to the Betsy
Ross(30 to the BFranklin is just as slow), through CC on the VSE, to 76, and
finally, after sitting on the Curve, you drop into Conshohocken..
Southern NJ is out as well..422->76 @ 4:45? Pack a dinner..76->676->Ben Franklin
@ 5:30..yeah right, hope you filled up on fuel before you left, and have good
air. Down 30E to Haddon Heights..enjoy the 30/130 circle and Adm. Wilson..
Basically, unless we plan to have no attendees from some specific area, we
almost have to meet in CCity, or roughly thereabouts.
We need:
Parking, preferrably cheap or free, and plentiful
Open roads or short commute
reliable, cheap, short/fast pub.transport
seating for 100+

Shit Folks, I think were on the verge of a attendee explosion, and we have to be
prepared for that eventuality.
Sponsors?  I know nothinbut.net is hosting the page, and many thanks, I wouldn't
mind seeing a plug for nothinbut every once in a while,
besides the idea of free sodas & chips (mentioned in someone elses email)
intrugues me, Hmm...Linux, Coke, and Corn Chips, could heaven be too far away?
My point is, we can't alienate a given (here comes the $.50 word) demographic,
just to make it easier on oursleves.  Linux was not built to make a small group
of people ecstatic, it was built to supply a great OS, for everyone.  That
included a few compromises, some extra steps, to make sure that we all can use
it.  Are we going to splinter, now that success is so close at hand?  Lets not
let egos and laziness get in the way of the incredible possibilities we have.
Keep everyone in, share knowledge and trials, sympathize with the other fellow.
Don't deny one group just because they are not in your situation, reach out and
include everyone.  Isn't that what RMS has been telling us all along?  If we
split up, or deny others, we will be violating the principles ESR fronted in the
CatB, any problem is simple id enough eyes look at it.
C'mon folks, give a little, so that we all benefit..
Peace,
Vale

Wow, I was on a roll...Sorry..
:)