Roger C. Scudder Jr. on Tue, 8 Jun 1999 04:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] Kernel recompile...

Hi Tracy,

 I program in C for a living (if that makes any difference to you)
and I have some input for you.  First of all, I would never do what
I considered to be a very resource intensive compile from within X.
When I compile the kernel I want to give every ounce of memory to the
compiler; so I stop any unnecessary processes, start make and sit back
(or go do something else for 15 min.).

 Of course you will get errors if the compiler doesn't have enough
memory (or other resource) to execute.  I understand that you were
trying a suggestion that caused the problem.  But, I don't understand
why anyone would want to do anything to speed up something as critical
as their kernel compile.  Your kernel is like your baby... you should
treat it very tenderly and nurture it... give it everything it needs
to reach it's highest potential... don't do anything that might
endanger it.

 If you are running a pentium class processor or better, kernel
compiles can be as short as 5 minutes.  Even if it takes 30 that's
pretty good.  You should see what it was like compiling a kernel
back when 386 was still a commonly used processor. On my machine,
with only 4MB ram, it took 6 hrs or better!

My best regards,
Roger Scudder