Master and Servant on Wed, 9 Jun 1999 03:12:14 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Meeting Place and Project Houses

Well, okay here is the dealie-o.

   I personally am for keeping a central resource.  However, ideas bubble in
my head as such, to look this way...

  Project Houses.

General Meeting, and then project houses.   I know one of the people wanted to
start a Debian Developers SIG to meet another night.  I'm sorry I am unsure of
your name at this point.

Well, the place I offered honestly wouldn't hold too many more people than we
are currently getting.  (Unfortunately we just walled off/divided up our
larger room making it less useful for growth. -- we can still hold 25 or so in
either of two of the rooms.)  I would thusly offer the place I previously
suggested as a home for various SIGs.

My initial thought on this was based on saying "General meeting at the Lecture
Hall Avi offered and then Project Houses/SIGS at the place I offer." -- Well,
replace "Avi's offer' with "wherever we find and decide on" and my offer with
"Whatever SIG wants to meet here that I can accomodate.. and anywhere else
different SIGs wish to meet."

(I may send my opinion on Avi's offer, the location, splintering and projectors
in a separate email.) I would be willing to offer this place as a regular
meeting place till we find a better place, but I am sure that by August we
will find a good place.

So I am suggesting project houses,  places for SIGs to meet.  I know we have
at least the INTEREST in starting this one SIG by one of the more vocal/active
people in the organization.  (Personally I dont know if there is enough of
demand for a specifically Debian developers sig -- I suugested just making a
Developers SIG -- but he's into Debian so thats what he wants to do.)  If
anybody wants other SIGs -- I suggest you suggest them, and see if there are
enough people to support it.

I personally have a SIG rough-idea but I will describe it in a different email.

PLEASE NOTE: SIGS and Project Houses are not the same as Splintering, -- I am
talking about small Special Interest Groups here rather than General Meetings
or new LUGs.

Additional Tidbit of Thouhgt:  Project Houses and SIGs can also be beneficial
in generating a location where people can get together and in learning, help to
generate, germanate, develop and work-out ideas and presentations that can
eventually be presented to the group at a General Meeting.