Jack Wilkinson on Tue, 8 Jun 1999 19:12:20 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] More on splintering and satellites

At 11:01 PM 6/7/99 , you wrote:
I just got to thinking about what everyone has been saying about
splintering, and I came up with an idea that I don't think anyone's
proposed regarding it yet.  I understand we are concerned with
splintering because of the braintrust issue, etc., however, I think
setting up satellite LUGs to the PLUG may be a feasible plan, and could
really add to the PLUG if we do it right.  Now hear me out, and flame if
you feel it necessary, but I think this might work.  As it is now, I
live in Doylestown, quite a bit away from CCity, making the commute,
while only once a month, something I haven't been able to do yet.  Since
the PLUG only meets once a month, I suggest that we *do* set up
satellite LUGs that would meet on a more frequent basis, maybe three or
four times a month, then the satellites send their members to the
central PLUG meeting.  This will be beneficial in two big ways.  One, it
expands the Linux User Group movement in the Delaware Valley, creating
more local LUGs, which may be more convienent for some, and two, if some
people are not able to attend the main PLUG meeting, I'm guessing at
least one person from each satellite will be able to attend, and return
with meeting minutes, or something of the sort to share with their
satellite group, so the main meeting reaches more people...

Just an idea
Tim

Gosh Dangit, Tim... I was just writing essentially the same email when I received yours...

I'm all in favor of that... 2nd and 4th Wednesdays for the satellites (D-PLUG, WC-PLUG, SJ-PLUG, as well as the root PLUG for city'ers) 1st Wednesdays for PLUG in CC...

the big meetings would be for speakers, seminars, etc... and all of the satellite meetings could have a collaborative IRC channel for stuff that the people in one of the X-PLUGs can't handle... something like that at least... The satellite PLUGs will attract more members as it's not so remote, and will therefore strengthen PLUG as a whole overall with more membership to contribute to the convention-like monthly meetings...

Jack