Kyle Burton on Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:42:22 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] AARGGHH!!! -- Continuing the useless tangent

No, but it is capable of using multiple processes.  Which is what -j does
for you.  It figures out dependedncy trees, and farms out up to 5 processes
for each level of the tree.

This kind of dependency in a makefile:

foo:  bar.c qux.c quz.c baz.c
	gcc -o foo bar.o qux.o quz.o baz.o -lboing

will have make run 4 simultaneous copies of gcc to compile each of the
.c files...if you have a multi-processor machine, then you'll get a much
larger advantage as you'll have 2 processes running at the same time (1 on
each chip).  Even on uniprocessor boxes, it saves some overhead...I'd suspect
it's on the read to launch the compiler or something along those lines.

"To get something clean, one has to get something dirty. To get something
dirty, one does not have to get anything clean."
    -- Publilius Syrus