Pham Long Trung Duy on Thu, 10 Jun 1999 23:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Modem lost! Puzzledly!

I had my modem on a windows box, running just fine (not a winmodem).  I
start play around with PPP and IPmasq on my linux box, so I move the
modem over linux box, buying a another (unfortunately, pnp win-) modem
for windows.  After a few test rides, I decided it's not the one for me,
as when windows get heavily loaded the connection broke.  Taking it back
to the store and getting the refund is not the problem!  However, the
problem is, when I tried to re-install my old modem onto the windows box
(remember?  I cannot get IPmasq working yet), the darn thing won't work.

Thinking that I probably killed it by static, I still, desperately,
moved it back to the linux box.  And voila!  It worked!  I could telnet
to a unix account 2000 miles away.  I'd love to blame Windows and
Microsoft for it, but I couldn't:  Hate to lose the battle, I bring it
back to Windows machine, but this time boot it into plain DOS mode, and
use Telix (minicom-like comm sw for DOS).  Telix can open the COM4
(supposingly my modem), but the CTS signal is dead, hence unsuccessfully
communicate to the modem.

My next step was to go into BIOS, turning off all the pnp feature.  But
it doesnt help.  My linux box is a old 486 with ISA/VESA motherboard, no
pnp at all.  The DOS machine is Pentium 200 Tyan with PCI/ISA and pnp
BIOS.  I think the problem is at hardware level, but cannot understand
what difference on the PentiumII motherboard that make the modem won't
work.  Is it that the software driver for the winmodem reconfigure all
the pnp things, putting my system (my old modem is also pnp) in wierd
configuration ?  Or Does BIOS do any pnp configuring at boot even before
DOS gets loaded?  How come it still work on the old 486?  I even tried
removing all cards from windows box, leaving just the video and the
modem card, to eliminate resource conflicts, but still no luck.  What
went wrong?  What else should I try?

I hate pnp.  Just give me back my the jumpers.  I CAN read the table!

I'll try anything to get me out of this mystery!

thanks for you feedback, btw.
duy