Steve Sirota on Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:19:46 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] root@(none)

you could try to set it explicitly in your cgi like `whoami`\@"palawnet.com"

or give yourself a hostname
hostname <your_hostname>

and then login at another virtual terminial to see if it worked.

my guess is that your /etc/bashrc reads something like this...
PS1 = `whoami`\@`hostname`
also if you get $ at your root prompt your missing something like this..

if `whoami` = "root" then PS1 = `whoami`\@`hostname` #
    else PS1 = `whoami`\@`hostname` $

in which case you need an entry in /etc/hosts
describing what your real hostname is.(other than just localhost)

your real return address probably can be supplied in your sendmail
configuration,
because your prompt string doesn't have much to do with this, that is i am
assuming
you want your return address to be from your isp's mailhost, someone will
probably pipe up with
the correct sendmail configuration to do this.

i hope i am reading your question correctly..