Michael C. Toren on Tue, 22 Jun 1999 20:37:54 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] OK, I think I found part of the problem with fetchmail

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Tim Krell wrote:

> OK, here's a snippet from a fetchmail -v I ran...I've included the part
> I think is pertinent to my problem here...
>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 451 <darwin@hobbiton.org>...Sender domain must resolve
> fetchmail: SMTP error: 451 <darwin@hobbiton.org>... Sender domain must
> resolve
>
> i *think* this is something being sent FROM the mail server at SNiP TO
> my fetchmail...I'm not thinking I have a local problem here, that it may
> be an error with SNiP, but if so, why would Netscape Messenger be able
> to retrieve the messages?  That's the only question that keeps popping

Hi Tim,

I think you're a bit confused about how Fetchmail operates.

Under normal circumstances, Fetchmail connects via POP3 or IMAP to the
server you specify, retrieves messages, and then establishes an SMTP
connection to the localhost to deliver them.  It's not SNiP you are
seeing attempt to deliver messages to Fetchmail, it's Fetchmail trying
to deliver messages to you.

Can you tell us what MTA (mail transport agent) you are running on your
Linux box?  Sendmail, smail, ssmtp?  It sounds like the answer lies there.

-mct