LeRoy D. Cressy on Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] A question about installing Linux

Andy Bradley wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.  I am loaning this box to a pregnant
> programmer friend of mine who is very recently without employment.
> Raising children is more important than working in Manhattan so she
> quit.  She would rather have a Unix like box than Microsoft but needs
> both.  So I plan on giving her both. I have to complete the install by
> Saturday.
>
> I think I have the problem solved (for now).
>
> I answered most of the comments in this one reply.
>
> Again, thanks for the quick response.
>

> ++While installing Linux as a dual boot, I create a boot disk, so that
> Linux
> ++doesn't screw up my MBR and I can boot both systems.
>
> I was installing RH 5.0 which did not give me the opportunity to
> create a boot disk.  I realized that I had a RH 5.1 CD-ROM in the back
> of a book. So, recovered my MBR,  re-ran fdisk recreated the
> partitions and reinstalled RH.  I requested that it do a dual boot and
> also created the boot disk.  Upon rebooting it goes right into Win95
> unless I use the boot floppy.  That is fine for now.  I will have to
> figure out how to dual boot with a menu at another time.
>

> ++I think this is the 1024 cylinder problem.
> The Linux partition is with in the first 1024
>
> ++there's something in the HOWTO/mini/LILO about booting under these
> ++conditions...When LILO halts after just printing "LI", it means that
> it can't
> ++find the kernel on the disk.
>
> I subsequently read some of the HOWTO on LILO and EZ DRIVE and there
> is a problem here but I do not yet understand how to fix it.  I think
> that is why it can not find the kernel.  Some funky things with both
> Win95 and Linux looking at the same partition table differently.
>
> ++If you are running Linux off of a DOS partition, and you sometimes
> ++run DOS/Windows on that partition, then kernel file can be moved
> Linux is on a Linux native partition and it's a fresh install of Linux
> and also of Win95 with Visual C and MS Office.  Linux was installed
> and I attempted to boot into it right away.  There was no opportunity
> to move the kernel.
>

> ++To avoid some of these problem, I always install LILO in the root
> ++partition of Linux, not the boot sector.
>
> I forget where I installed it, this time around.  Is there a way to
> check?
>
> ++I get the "LI" usually after a win95 blow up.  Just powering down
> and
> ++restarting usually does the trick.  I also got it just after
> installing
> ++LILO for the first time.
>
> I tried rebooting several time after installing and it would hang up
> every time.  I had to restore my MBR to get the box to boot again.

According to the ``book'' Li indicates that the first stage of the boot
loader was able to load the second stage of the boot loader but was not
able to execute it. This is caused by either a geometry mismatch or by
moving /boot/boot.b without running the map installer.

Just my 2 cents

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037