Martin DiViaio on Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:38:38 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Two networking questions...

> ppp0 shows that the local address ant the remote address has been
> removed.  Thus in reality, pppd is running but it is ineffective.

Sorry, that post was SERIOUSLY screwed up on my part. The IP assignments
were removed by me not ifconfig. I felt I shouldn't be broadcasting my
ISP's network info to the list but I screwed it up later by posting that
information in the netstat output.

The 10/8 address is correct for my ISP as it uses 10/8 internally. I am
not attempting to use 10/8 on my systems.

The corrected output for ppp0 would be:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:207.172.60.5  P-t-P:10.65.48.12
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1006  Metric:1
          collisions:0

> There are a lot of items missing from this version of the ppp options
> file.  for instance there is no mention of where the modem device is, no
> mention of the connect baud rate, no chatscript mentioned and other
> stuff.  I question why you have set the kernel debug level and the
> debug.  Why have you set the mtu to 1006?  Also, do you have a
> chatscript somewhere on your system and a shell script that calls the
> chat chatscript?

I've setup my connect scripts as outlined in the PPP-HOWTO. Besides
/etc/ppp/options there is a /etc/ppp/ppp-on, /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer and
/etc/ppp/ppp-off. My command to run pppd is:

exec /usr/sbin/pppd debug /dev/cua1 38400 \
        connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

where $DIALER_SCRIPT points to /etc/ppp/ppp-on-dialer.

debug and kernel debug are set so that I can check /var/log/messages for
errors when the connect script fails or if there are problems with the
connection. While I only understand a portion of the information that is
dumped to syslog it does help to have it when I am arguing with a tech
support that doesn't support Linux.

The mtu setting is the one recommended by my ISP.

If you want to see all the scripts go here:
http://www.erols.com/martindiviaio/connect-script.html

There is a limit on how much traffic that can be sent out from my
directory per month. I'm usually nowhere near the limit as I only use
the space for myself and don't normally publish it. If you can't get the
page for some reason, let me know and I will send it to you or post it
to the list; your option.