Alexander John Batyi on Sun, 11 Jul 1999 08:08:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Ya know, it's a shame..

> > it is the only one out there.  You have Linux, Unix (all versions), BeOs,
> > 95, 98, NT, Mac, OS/2, and others.  There are many office programs, business
> > program, and anything else that might be needed that runs on other OSs.  If
> > all of you are having that many problems then you better leave computers to
> > the more capable.
>
> I bow down to you... I obviously dont know what I'm doing if I dont like
> windows. I mean, I'd certainly never use it just because I need to
> exchange information with someone and they're using a proprietary binary

My observation has been that Corporate management listens to marketers
rather than their own technical people.  Any KNOWLEGEBLE technogeek
would choose ANY *nix flavor over windows even if he had to write
his/her own app to get the job done.  Windows is simply not acceptable
for "Mission Critical" apps unless; as said before; you really baby it.

I have been working on a port from OS/2 to Win32 (95/98/NT) and decided
to make the port from OS/2 specific to "Portable"  by separating OS
specific "Raw" areas and common code.  This has let me work on the common
code using Linux and I noticed I could get away with more between Win32
and Posix than the others and OS/2.  Windows is faster than OS/2 and
slower than Linux on similar hardware.  Actually I mean the compilers.  I
don't use an IDE so I am refering to Microsoft's nmake vs make under Linux.
I used Borland C++ for OS/2's IDE to generate a makefile for Borland's
make under OS/2 and with it's Object Oriented Overhead OS/2 is by far the
slowest.  None of the platforms have crashed at all really but NT
machines die around me all the time.  I am running the client and never
connect to the servers except to help the NT guys troubleshoot.  It's
true the other users get corrupt mailboxes now and again but I use
the Linux mail system I set up way before they got Exchange running
because it can go beyond the building.  The NT guys never figured out
how to do that.

Maybe it is true that they never got the M$ schooling but why can I hack
Unix by simply RTFM?  I have a Sun Micro ad taped to the wall over my desk.
It has a picture of Sally Struthers in the corner and says;

"Thinking of running you critical apps
on Windows NT?  Isn't there enough world suffering?"

It's an ad for Solaris 7 or somthing.  Oh well Thanks for letting me fume.
I'm not a Linux Only type but I never used Intel Iron, being stuck
with WE32100's or 68020's, until Linux.  I had a 286 running At&t Unix
so that isn't entirely true.  The box was an At&t by Olivetti and had
a 16 bit io interface before IBM released the AT.  Linux simply let me
switch to cheaper iron and get the source I need without having to
leave a sad note on an AT&T mailing list to get someone to feel sorry
for me and email the piece of code needed to compile a fix for something.
It was nice having email 10 years ahead of the rest of the world though. <g>

Nuff said.