Greg Lopp on Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:22:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Transperancy

"Jason S." wrote:

> "Paul B. Krause" wrote:
> >
> > Matthew Heyer wrote:
> >
> > > I am new to linux and I'm amazed at what it can do.
> > > Once, I saw a transparent teminal(backround wallpaper was viewable at
> > > all times) on the desktop of another linux user.
> > > Bottom line how dow you do it?
> > > Matt Heyer
>
> > It was probably an Eterm, associated with the Enlightenment WM.   It
> > will grab the desktop if you've set it
> > through enlightenment or gnome.  It will not grab it if you set the
> > background through, say xv.  I'm not sure under what other conditions it
> > will grab the desktop background.
>
> Visit www.eterm.org, if you change desktops, with somethign like xv use
> the esetroot utility to tell Eterm about it. Its in the docs. It works
> with kde, wm, as and just about every other window manager I can think
> of.

As the name implies, it was designed for use with the Enlightenment WM.  All
that really seems to mean is that the configuration for Eterm is similar to
that of E[WM]...i.e. it ignores your .Xdefaults file, instead looking at
/usr/local/share/Eterm/themes/Eterm/MAIN.

You need not worry about using esetroot of you use the --watch-desktop option
(or set watch_desktop on in MAIN)