Alexander John Batyi on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 19:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Debian Install Problems

> > > I mothball my current (Slackware) Linux system and get a new box.
> >
> > Why?
>
> Curiosity, mostly.  I want to understand the packaging system,
> meaning both its good points and bad points.  I don't think I'll
> be able to have an informed opinion about it until I really
> understand it well.

I just installed disk 5 or the Summer 1999 InfoMagic LDR
I set the BIOS to boot from the CDROM first and plopped it into
the platter.  Up came the familiar Slackware "don't touch that disk!"
screen and the boot: prompt.   I logged in, ran fdisk, exited,
ran mkswap and swapon a couple of times, formatted the ext2 partitions
and ran setup.  Of course the jobs not done but it boots and all
that's left is to make it into whatever the user wants.  I watched
(the guy is sitting right here) someone pick through dselect once and
don't want to see anyone suffer through that again.  If you need a number
for a debian twelve step group of somthing I can ask around.