Walt Mankowski on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 00:01:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Debian Install Problems

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 04:56:11AM -0500, Chuck Peters wrote:
> The details are sketcy at the moment, but I seem to recall having a
> problem where the CD put all the packages in one directory and that it did
> not match the indices file exactly.  At
> http://debian.midco.net/debian/indices/ it looks like they have broken up
> the indices into the main, contrib and non-free sections and the CD may
> contain a mix of the various sections.

Thanks for the help.  I'm running Cheap Bytes "Essential Debian 2.1".
I don't know if I said that in my initial post.

I followed your instructions and the Packages file on the CD looked
fine.

> Press the I key.

I was getting the "i" and "I" keys confused.  Can't imagine why... ;-)
Here's what the online help has to say:

	i, I  toggle/cycle info displays

Sure makes it seem like they do the same thing, doesn't it?

> Sorry I have never set up a printer, although my Dad wants me to set up
> his for him. Let us know how it goes

I wonder if I can just copy over my Red Hat config...

> I have always recompiled the kernel, and sound was the hardest part as it
> needed a couple dma's io, irq and figuring out what the parameters was a
> bit of a chore if I remember correctly.  It's been a while since I have
> done it and it was on the 2.0 kernels, but I don't remember having to add
> any devices for the sound.

I was hoping there might be some sound support out of the box, but I
guess not.  Luckily I know what all the settings need to be (sound is
working fine on my RH partition).

> > - What's the rationale for not making /tmp world-writeable?  Debian
> >   sets up man to put its temp files in /tmp, but then doesn't let
> >   regular users write to /tmp!
>
> You have me confused here, all the users can write to /tmp.
> drwxrwxrwt   7 root     root         3072 Jul 12 07:40 tmp

The default permissions on my tmp dir were

	drwxrwxr-t

> > - What's debian's equivalent of .Xdefaults?  I hate the defaults they
> >   have for xterms.
>
> I like the small print fine, but Kathy doesn't have such good eyes and we
> setup her .xinitrc file with the following.
>
> xclock -digital -font vga11x19 &
> xterm -ls -rv -fn vga -geometry 79x25+25+0 -title "Mintaka xterm" &
> eterm  &
> fvwm2

That's not exactly what I was looking for, but I did figure this one
out myself.  Red Hat uses .Xdefaults; Debian uses .Xresources.  The
file, BTW, is a collection of default settings for various X programs.
You can add a line such as

	xterm*font:9x15

and all your xterms will default to the 9x15 font.

> > - How tough is it to upgrade to a 2.2.* kernel?
>
> It's not hard, use make-kpkg to build your kernel as a Debian package.
> But I would not recommend it because the stable distribition hasn't made
> the move to 2.2 yet.  If you still want to do it, there is something about
> some of the stuff that gets broken on the Debian pages.

It would be cool if it were as simple as recompiling.  It was a little
more involved to upgrade RH 5.2.  I needed to update a bunch of
libraries and packages before I could move up to a 2.2 kernel.

> > - Where can I find more up-to-date packages?  The version of Window
> >   Maker in Debian 2.1 is ancient, for instance.
>
> wmaker 0.20.3-5 is the stable version listed on the website.

Yes, I saw that.  That's the version I have installed right now.
Unfortunately, that version dates all the way back to the beginning of
December and was already pretty old when they cut the CD in March.

Walt