Master and Servant on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:57:58 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] PLUG List Nettiquite - Propriety, MS-bashing, etc.

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 Gregory.Josephs@phila.gov wrote:

> I have been enjoying this list, even though I don't yet have a Linux box
> to work on.  It's true, some of the anti-Microsoft stuff is juvenile,
> but not (given MS' numerous shortcomings) offensive.

Well I just wan to say one thing in regards to the NT/etc thread - I do
think it was a little off-topic after the beginning but I figured it can
run it's course, that is what people seemed to want to discuss.

I WILL say (and PAY ATTENTION!) that the 'fallout' response now is a
little off track, to the guy who started the thread, and the others
responding/commenting -- calm down and relax folks.. I think you guys have
just seriously misinterpreted and are currently misinterpreting each
other!

> But when P.C. hardware was finally powerful enough to support a
> windowing product, there was no guarantee that Microsoft would come out
> on top.  IBM gave them a run for their money with OS-2, and we are all
> lucky that IBM failed.  There were other would-be windowing systems,
> some based on MS-DOS

Well someone may have the timeline better than I do, but my impression was
that windows was already long since out and entrenched by the time that
OS/2 came along.

> and some independent (remember the Commodore Amiga?)
>, but none could beat Microsoft's business plan - aggressive

Well, the Amiga was/IS an entirely independent platform.  It had a
distribution of many million, and is still being used extensively today.
The only problem was is that Commodore was a horrid company that didn't
know how to market or manage anything. (vic20/c-64/c-128 enthusiasts can
take a sedative and relax now before jumping on me about this statement.)
You see, Commodore had initially backed, and then bought out the Amiga
company -- kind of like GM and Saturn.  If you don't know, Gateway now
owns the Amiga company.. and they have been continuing working on
development and products.  Lately they've been working on developing their
next-generation Amiga platform... originally they were going to go with
QNX as the basis for their kernel... but now... they wised up and are
going to be basing their new system on the LINUX KERNEL!

For more inforation check:
http://www.amiga.de/diary/executive/linux-e.html
you can also surf around www.amiga.com (same as www.amiga.de)

[lots of stufff deleted I wont debate with you about your position, at
least not here. based on your position on software bloat, you may enjoy
going and reading the following:
http://www.slate.com/webhead/99-07-06/webhead.asp
]