Morgan Wajda-Levie on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Distritubtion Question

I've used Redhat and Debian, but my personal preferences are
currently Debian.  Redhat is easy to install, and works fairly well,
but I found upgrading it to be a pain (various things got broken when
I went from 5.0 to 5.1), and it is not very convenient to do ftp
upgrades.

Debian, on the other hand, upgrades very cleanly.  I went from 2.0 to
2.1 without any problems, and the same for 2.1 to potato
("unstable").  Debian also makes it very easy to upgrade directly from
the Internet, something that I did not find true about Redhat.  My
computer downloads and installs the latest Debian packages every
morning at 5:00, which works very nicely.

One nice thing about Redhat is that a lot of money is being put into
making Redhat both easy to install and good for the large commercial
operation.  Debian is more aimed at the hacker, because those are the
people who do all the developing.

My 2 cents,
Morgan