John Nolan on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 18:33:16 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] RE: Software Bloat

> And I think that day is near.  MS Word 97 does stinky things like capitalizing
> the initial of the word after a period whether I want it or not (which I usually
> don't), and provides no way to turn this off (I refuse to tinker with the
> Registry, since that is a notorious way to destabilize the system further).  It
> won't let me select from the middle of one word to the middle of the next.  I
> even object when it corrects hte to the, since I am a touch typist, my
> finger-sense recognizes the error, and Word just gets in my way when I try to
> correct it.

All of these items are configurable.  On my installation
of MS Word at work, I have them shut off.  You don't need to
edit the Registry, you can just set the options from within Word.
Look under Tools/Options and Tools/AutoCorrect.
Read the nice manual.  :)

I third the motion from earlier today.  Let's try to keep more
on topic.  I think that most discussions about Microsoft
are probably off-topic, although people should use their
best judgement about this.  I personally don't want to hear
about Miscrosoft from the Linux list, I want to hear about Linux.

Just my 2 cents.  I know that some people don't agree.  :)