Jason Costomiris on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:18:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Distritubtion Question

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 03:44:57PM -0400, Vettese, Nick A wrote:
: I have found that Caldera's Open 2.2 is an incredibly easy to install
: package.  My personal is Red Hat though.  I found it easy to get on the
: network, and the new 6.0 is way better than I thought it would be

COL 2.2 is indeed very easy to install.  However, I found it rather
confining.  That is, I felt like my environment was being dictated to
me.  "You will use KDE.  You will like it.  You will just accept all of
these gazillion packages we install and the fact that we insert darn near
every module into the kernel...."  I will, however, say that playing
tetris during the end of the installation was neato.

RH 6.0 is very nice, and has lots of cool bleeding edge stuff (glibc 2.1,
GNOME, all the cool kernel 2.2 stuff like kernel based NFS, etc) that I
like.  Mandrake takes all that a step further by using pgcc to build
everything and using some even further updated packages.  Right now, I'm
running a custom distribution based off of RH 6.0.  I really like the
way the RH guys made it easy to do that.  How easy?  Add/replace the
RPMs in the RedHat/RPMS dir, rebuild the hdlist file using genhdlist,
a little mkisofs and cdrecord action and tada!  Instant custom RH based
distribution.  What did I update?  Little things like including Mesa
3.1b2, xscreensaver 3.16, gtk+/glib 1.2.3, a customized (with my own logo)
gdm, xmms, icecast server, all the RH 6.0 errata, gnomeicu 0.65, xchat 1.0,
acrobat reader 4.0, nmap, sniffit, and some others.

Slackware has become (IMHO) an unmanagable disaster.  After all this time,
it's still libc5 based.  No real package management to speak of (No folks,
tar and gzip don't constitute package management).

I've heard both good and bad about Stampede.  I've never tried so I couldn't
say.

Debian (slink) is a stable, venerable platform.  When potato releases,
complete with XFree86 3.3.3.1, glibc 2.1, kernel 2.2, gnome 1.0,
and all the trimmings, I'll be back home to Debian.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.