Charles Stack on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 21:26:38 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Let's take the more ambitious path

>There is nothing wrong with trying... but your wrong in thinking that
>there are unemployed developers lurking here.  There is no such animal.
>Anyone with the ability to do a project like the one you outlined is
>already up to their elbows in work.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I debated whether your message justified a response
considering we're trying to remain on topic.  But, you speak of my having an
attitude.  Funny, I don't seem to have this problem on other groups that I
subscribe to.  I have tried, several times in the past to ask questions and
elicit responses from the members of this group.  Ninety percent of the
time, I receive no responses while innane converstation regarding such topic
of "why Unix is like a female" raged on.  What I have found is that it
appears that the subscribers of this list are the ones with the attitude.
Mine is a direct result of yours. It's a catch22.

>To tell you the truth, your message looked to me like an attempt to get
>a free consultation.  And the fact that you come back the very next day
>with an attitude, shows that you have poor PR skills.  If getting your
>employer to support Linux means anything to you, you better work on your
>approach.

Yes and no. Point taken.  I did not know where to find the libraries to
solve the task I'm working on.  In the Windows world, I know my around.  In
the Linux world, I figured that this was the place to ask.  How wrong I was.

As for my PR skills.  I get the job done and my employer is quite pleased
with my methods.  Going with Linux is a luxury and not a requirement.  The
PR problems are more applicable to this group that seems to think that they
should 1) Ignore anyone not an active participant and attending meetings 2)
Rant, rave, and flame those individuals that dare to upset your cozy little
world.  If you think I'm bitter with my experiences with PLUG, your're
right.  My experiences with this group have been mostly negative with only a
few flickers of positive enlightenment.  It's a shame, that the actions
compromise all.  But, that's the case here.

Occassionally, I see material that is posted on this list that is of
relevance to me.  For that reason, I continue listening.  But, I am getting
tired of having to defend myself simply because I dared upset the balance.
And, for that reason, following this post, I will no longer be an active
participant on this list server.  If I weren't already a Linux convert, I
probably would walk away from the whole movement altogether.   The fact that
the newsgroups tend to be a friendlier environment for what amounts to
essentially newcomers is another good reason why I will remain a Linux
convert.   But, this group holds little for me.  So, be happy...You chased
one away.  (Three Cheers...Hallalluia...he's gone).

At this point, I feel enough has been said on this subject.  I tried to end
this go nowhere thread with my last post but you just had to resurrect it.

Charles