Charles Stack on Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:52:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Let's take the more ambitious path

>My response was tongue in cheek.  Perhaps you thought a bunch of
programmers
>would rush to your side and make you look like a hero to your bosses?

My boss couldn't give a rats ass about Linux.  He's content running his
business just the way he is not...making big bucks on NT.  We're a small
shop...but we make the best software in our area of expertise.  The only
improvement I could see is having a stable version on ANYTHING not Microsoft
(with Linux my first choice).

Going to Linux would be my idea.  Why?  Because I believe in the sharing of
knowledge and expertise that only Open Source can provide.  I was convinced
two years ago by a member of your group that the Open Source/GPL initiative
was a good thing.  All I wanted to ask from this group was to ask them to
think about what I said about gaining focus in order to move the community
forward as it is too scattered and diffuse.  Is that so utterly terrible?
Is the fact that possible employment for those currently unemployeed or
seeking alternative employment such a bad deal either?  Okay..you live in
the cardboard box on vent at 32nd & Market (that one has steam in the
winter, I do believe).  I tend to believe most people would like to get paid
for advancing their ideals.

Well enough soapboxing.  I will stay on topic from this point forward.

cjs