Alexander John Batyi on Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:58:30 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] PLUG List Nettiquite - Propriety, MS-bashing, etc.

> Actually, the bloat is from MFC, the Microsoft Foundation Classes.  The
> canonical
> "Hello, world!" app is over 1M when compiled with MFC.  It's roughly
> equivalent to
> packing your entire wardrobe for an overnight business trip because you
> don't know
> what you're going to want to wear.  Properly designed and written
> object-oriented
> code is no larger than "traditionally" (structured-analysis-oriented) code,
> and can
> be significantly smaller if done with a good team.

Another hitch  (is this going off topic?) is that it is harder to write
(maybe just for me) code compatible with 95,98 AND NT unless I stick
with strict WIN32 calls and leave out MFC entirely.  I have been sticking
with Tcl/Tk 8.x to maintain GUI compatibility across Win32, *nix and using
sockets for comm between the Win32 C++ object code and the GUI.