Hugh Brock on Wed, 14 Jul 1999 16:58:57 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] ppp and ethernet with SuSE

Martin DiViaio wrote:

> What happens when you bring up eth0 after connecting with ppp?

Good question -- hadn't thought of that. I just tried it, and bringing
up eth0 seems to disable the ppp connection although it doesn't actually
knock me offline. Also eth0 does not work when I bring it up that way --
it will show up and configured, but I can't telnet out to anything,
which I can when I bring it up without ppp.

This is getting wierder and wierder; at first I thought it was just a
network config issue, but now I'm beginning to think it really is a
driver problem with this combo modem... works fine under NT, of course,
but then there's a company driver for that... sigh...

Another thing I've noticed, and this may be germane: When I connect with
ppp, /proc/interrupts shows a serial device on irq5. When I bring eth0
up, it also shows irq5 and ioport 0x300. There's no indication of what
io port the serial device is using, except that pcnet_cs has 2f8 to 2ff
and (on a separate line) 300 to 31f. I believe the card also uses the
same interrupt for both functions under NT, although I couldn't swear to
it. But I wonder if that isn't part of the problem...

Any inspiration?

Thanks,
--Hugh