Martin DiViaio on Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:08:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] ppp and ethernet with SuSE

Hugh Brock wrote:

> Another thing I've noticed, and this may be germane: When I connect with
> ppp, /proc/interrupts shows a serial device on irq5. When I bring eth0
> up, it also shows irq5 and ioport 0x300. There's no indication of what
> io port the serial device is using, except that pcnet_cs has 2f8 to 2ff
> and (on a separate line) 300 to 31f. I believe the card also uses the
> same interrupt for both functions under NT, although I couldn't swear to
> it. But I wonder if that isn't part of the problem...

I'm not sure how to do this but I think you need to set up seperate
irq's and memory areas for the modem and ethernet parts of the card.
Windows can handle more than one device on the same irq but Linux can't.
Keep in mind that Linux is seeing the card as two separate devices.