LeRoy D. Cressy on Thu, 15 Jul 1999 18:37:53 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Distritubtion Question

I am in complete agreement with you about backups and the such, but how
many new windows refugees out there know about backing up the /etc
directory and portions of /var?  A huge number of windows users that are
not in the corporate world don't know about backing up a system or even
where their own local files are on the hd let alone system configuration
files.

Some of my family who have now started using Linux find it a real joy
that their local files are in the /home directory and that whatever
program that they use will always put their documents in the home
directory by default.  An example when my mother was using 95, each
program defaulted to its own directory where to put created files.  She
didn't know where quicken, wordperfect, msword, and all the other
programs put created files which made backup almost impossible for her.
Now that she is using Linux, a new writable cd in the drive on Sunday
takes care of her backup needs.  In fact she just leaces a blank disk in
the drive at all times and the machine does its ``thing'' without the
user having to manually backup the system and personal files.

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037