Michelle Weber on Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:12:46 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] redhat, linksys, and suburban@home :-(

Hi, I am having a slight problem with my redhat 6.0 box, with a linksys
card, and my freshly installed suburban@home cable modem.
If anyone has any ideas on what might be wrong, I would definitely try
anything at this point.
Suburban won't really help me because I'm using linux, and they say they
can ping my modem, just not my ip.
What I have set up is redhat 6.0 box, with a 2.2.10 kernel i just
compiled.  I compiled in support for my ethernet card, which is really
just a ne2000 pci compatible card.  A friend of mine uses comcast@home,
with redhat 6.0, and the same exact nic card I have. (In fact, I set up
that machine myself, and compiled a kernel similar to mine, which works
fine, I'm using the box right now)
I set everything up using netconf, I put in my host name, domain name,
name servers, netmask, picked eth0 for the device, and the default
gateway, all as they appear on the little config sheet, and I've checked
many many many times to make sure everything is entered correctly in here.
When the machine starts up, I see it find the ethernet card, when lo, and
eth0 start up they say "OK".  When I do a /sbin/ifconfig, the card and
localhost are there, when I do a /sbin/route, everything looks normal,
when I look at /proc/interrupts there are no conflicts.
I can ping localhost, and my own ip, but I can't ping anywhere else, not
even the gateway.  I can ping the gateway from here though, so I know it's
up.  I know data is being sent out, the little lights on the card and the
modem blink, and the cable light is steady, which means I should have a
connection, yet nothing seems to work.
The only suggestions I've gotten so far are the ethernet cable, I tried
both the one that came with the card, and the one that Suburban cable
provided me, and the other is that the card is bad.
Can anyone think of anything else other than the card is bad?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
Michelle Weber
umweber@mcs.drexel.edu