Roger C. Scudder Jr. on Wed, 21 Jul 1999 20:57:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Question about tar files

A tar file is an archive usually containing a directory structure.  It's
only useful in that form as an archive... usually compressed with gzip.
Before you can use it you have to expand it.  Do 'tar --help | less' to
read the command reference.  Basically you expand with 'tar -xvf <file>'
where <file> is the tar file.

Roger Scudder