Vale_Kenny on Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:35:51 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] US Robotics Modems etc, and a question..

Indeed, there is noncurrent method to force Winmodems to function within Linux.
There is probably virtually 0 interest for it as well.  Your best bet is to get
an additional modem, internal or external, doesn't matter, depends on
preference, and make sure it is *not* a winmodem.  If you have a dual boot
system, and would like an internal modem, there is nothing stopping you from
gettting an internal.  Windows will function just fine with a healthy, whole
modem as it will with a crippled modem reliant on the system CPU and OS to make
it function, so you can ditch your WinModem if you like..

Here's the question...not that I'd get one, but what is to prevent a modem maker
from making a Lin-modem?  Is it the way in which Linux interracts with the
serial ports?

Peace,
Vale

"Jason M. Lenthe" <lenthe@mailhost.sju.edu> on 07/22/99 02:25:00 PM