Justin Bedard on Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:10:45 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Mounting Zip drives in RH6.0

Hello,

I have this IOMega internal zip drive for my Dell Inspiron 7000.  I have a zip
disk the was used under NT.  When I'm on a Windoze box, I can read the data
just fine.  When I try to mount the zip drive under Linux, I get the following
message.

[1003 - jbedard@mzilla jbedard]$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt/zip
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
       or too many mounted file systems

When I'm outside of X, the mount command spits out a little more stuff but
comes to the same conclusion.

When I issue the mount command, there is activity in the zip drive.  So I have
the right device.

/mnt/zip does exist:

[1006 - jbedard@mzilla jbedard]$ ls -ld /mnt/zip/
drwxrwxr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jul 23 12:31 /mnt/zip/

And there's nothing in it:

[1007 - jbedard@mzilla jbedard]$ ls -l /mnt/zip/
total 2
drwxrwxr-x   2 root     root         1024 Jul 23 12:31 ./
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     root         1024 Jul 22 13:58 ../

I doubt it can be wrong fs type.  I only really have 2 choices, right?  vfat &
msdos.  Both yield the same messages.

Bad option.  -t?  Nah.

Too many mounted file systems?  Probably not considering there's usually 2 more
when I have my CDROM/floppy combo in there:

[1008 - jbedard@mzilla jbedard]$ mount
/dev/hda6 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win type vfat (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0622)
mzilla:(pid510) on /net type nfs
(intr,rw,port=1023,timeo=8,retrans=110,indirect,map=/etc/amd.conf,dev=00000003)

Bad superblock?  That's the only thing left according to my logic.  Why would
it be bad?  Wouldn't the disk then have problems under Windoze if there was a
bad superblock?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've also read the 2 files on ZIP drives in /usr/docs/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-*.  None
of them are that helpful for my problem.

Thanks,
Justin