Edward J. Sager on Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:19:44 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Wireless Internet, Northern Chester County

FYI to those who need Internet bandwidth and live in Northern Chester
County and can't get (or don't want to use) cable internet or DSL.

I have been trialing a wireless internet service from worldlynx.net.
The service works very well so far (about a month).  The link is capable
of 1.5mb but I think it is only set up to do 384k out to the net because
that seems to be the most I ever get.  The wireless NIC and antenna is
about $500 and the ISP setup is $750.  Monthly is $90 if you pre-pay
equipment or $135 for first year if you don't.  Go to
"http://www.worldlynx.net/web/wireless.html"; for more information.

I started out trying to set up a Linux box as my router with
IP-Masquerading/NAT but wireless NIC drivers were lacking 2.2.x
support.  Ended up setting up a DOS based router using packet drivers on
a floppy only 486, which works very well.  I hope the Linux drivers will
be brought up to date soon.

Nice features of service are that you get a dedicated IP address and a
full time connection.  You can go inbound no problem but the pricing
assumes you are not hosting.

Biggest challenge for me was getting antenna set up as I attached the
antenna to my chimney and then had to fish a cable through roof/attic
and into a closet upstairs which connects to in-house network.

The ISP's antenna is between Spring City/Phoenixville.  You need a
decent line of site though I have some distant trees in the way but it
still works.