Jason S. on Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:06:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Inability to send e-mail to IPs

I've never used smail, and sendmail seems to deal with IP's just fine.
However, here's what rfc 822 (internet mail headers) has to say. The
full document is here:
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/htbin/rfc/rfc0822.html

The section below is out of section 6 Address Specification.

Whats the syntax you're using and whats the error you're getting?

6.2.3.  DOMAIN TERMS

A domain-ref must be THE official name of a registry, network,
or  host.   It  is  a  symbolic  reference, within a name sub-
domain.  At times, it is necessary to bypass standard  mechan-
isms  for  resolving  such  references,  using  more primitive
information, such as a network host address  rather  than  its
associated host name.
To permit such references, this standard provides the  domain-
literal  construct.   Its contents must conform with the needs
of the sub-domain in which it is interpreted.
Domain-literals which refer to domains within the ARPA  Inter-
net  specify  32-bit  Internet addresses, in four 8-bit fields
noted in decimal, as described in Request for  Comments  #820,
"Assigned Numbers."  For example:
[10.0.3.19]
Note:  THE USE OF DOMAIN-LITERALS IS STRONGLY DISCOURAGED.  It
is  permitted  only  as  a means of bypassing temporary
system limitations, such as name tables which  are  not
complete.
The names of "top-level" domains, and  the  names  of  domains
under  in  the  ARPA Internet, are registered with the Network
Information Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, California.

J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.